LET THE RATE COMMISSION KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT RAIL SYSTEM FARES!
From HART Weekly Newsletter, July 12, 2019
One of the questions HART public outreach staffers get asked most is, “How much is it going to cost to ride?”
The short answer is the fares are still to be determined.
Toward that end, the City’s Rate Commission has scheduled meetings for July, August, and September to receive public input on fares for the rail system.
Several topics are of particular interest to the Commission, who invites your testimony.
Here’s a sample of questions Commissioners plan to consider:
– Should bus and rail fares be the same and no charge for transfers?
– Should there be flat rates or distance based rates?
– Should there be just a few categories of rates, such as Adult, Youth, and Discounted Eligible (include Seniors, Disabled, Low Income)?
– Should discounted monthly and annual passes continue? Or, as an alternative should rides on the Holo card be “capped” and all rides after reaching the cap be free?
– Should rates at the beginning of rail be free and if so, how long?
– What is the appropriate fare for the two year interim rail period?
– In the past, the city has aimed to have fares cover about 30% of the cost of operations and maintenance. Should this practice continue?
– Should cost of riding TheBus and HandiVan be the same for a single ride?
– Should seniors ride free? During all hours or just in non-commute hours?
You can testify in person or in writing.
Testimony may be given at any of the three following Rate Commission meetings:
- Tuesday, July 16 from 2:30-4:30 at Mission Meeting Room beside Honolulu Hale
- Tuesday, August 13 from 2:30-4:30 at Mission Meeting Room
- Tuesday, September 10 from 2:30-4:30 at Mission Meeting Room
Written testimony can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Rate Commission c/o Chris Ovitt
Department of Transportation Services City & County of Honolulu
650 South King Street; Second Floor
Honolulu, HI 96813
With limited passenger service planned for late next year, now is the time to weigh in on the rail transit fare structure.
JOIN US FOR A SPECIAL RAIL TOWN HALL EVENT!
Make your plans to join the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) at its upcoming informational community update on the Honolulu Rail Transit Project.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 17, 2019
PEARL RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CAFETERIA
98-940 Moanalua Road
The public is welcome to attend and learn up-to-date details from project experts, view informational displays, and ask questions of HART representatives.
You can also get your complimentary HOLO Card for Adults at the event, while supplies last! The HOLO card is Honolulu’s first electronic transit payment card for use on TheBus and the future rail system.
There’s Still No Word On How Much Honolulu Rail Will Cost —To Ride
Civil Beat | May 22, 2019